Don’t you get frustrated when you’re constantly disturbed by notifications from a certain contact or group chat? Most of us can’t even afford to put our phones on silent because we are afraid we might miss important notifications. Luckily, all iPhones operating on the latest iOS version have a Hide Alert feature specially designed for such circumstances.
If you don’t know what the Hide Alert iPhone feature is or how you can enable it, read this article till the end.
Table of Contents
- What is the Hide Alerts iPhone Feature?
- 2 Simple Ways to Hide Alerts on iPhone for a Contact
- How to Hide All iMessage Alerts
- How to Hide Alerts From All Apps
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Hide Alerts iPhone Feature?
The Hide Alerts feature on iPhone allows you to block incoming notifications from specific contacts on the Messages app. You can use Hide Alerts when you don’t want to be disturbed by certain contacts but still want to be notified about other important notifications.
Basically, when you enable the Hide Alerts iPhone feature on a certain contact, you will not receive a notification (such as a banner or sound alert) when they send a new message. But it is important to note that you’ll still receive the message, as Hide Alerts only hides the notifications. Moreover, the conversation will still appear in your Messages app, and you will be able to see the new messages on it.
2 Simple Ways to Hide Alerts on iPhone for a Contact
To hide alerts for a certain contact or conversation on iPhone, open the Messages app, find the conversation you want to hide notifications for, tap and hold it, then select the Hide Alerts option. Now, you will not be notified when you receive any new messages from that particular contact.
Hide Alerts is a very useful feature on iPhone that allows you to manage your notifications from certain contacts without having to change the notification settings for the entire device. That being said, now let’s take a look at how you can use Hide Alerts on your iPhone.
1. How to Hide Message Notifications for a Specific Contact
If you want to hide the notifications of specific contacts on your iPhone, here’s what you need to do:
- Launch the Messages app on your iPhone.
- In the list of message previews, open the chat of the contact for which you want to hide notifications on your iPhone.
- Tap on the contact’s name on top of the screen.
- Toggle Hide Alerts switch towards the right.
This will hide Messages app’s notifications from the specific person. You can repeat the same steps to hide notifications for other messages.
2. Alternative Way to Hide Alerts From a Specific Person
But if you don’t want to open the chat to hide iMessage conversation alerts for specific contacts, there’s a shortcut. Here’s how to use it:
- Launch the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Now swipe left or long-press the chat thread on which you want to enable Hide Alert.
- Tap the Bell icon or select the Hide Alert option.
How to Hide All iMessage Alerts
To hide all iMessage alerts, navigate to Settings > Notifications. In the Notification Style section, select the Messages app. Now, toggle off the Allow Notifications switch to hide all notifications from the Messages app.
You don’t have to go through each chat and hide alerts manually. Instead, you can hide all text message notifications through the Settings app. So, to stop all incoming notifications from the Message app, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Settings app and tap Notifications.
- Now tap Messages app in the Notification Style section.
- Here you will see various options related to how you want to receive notifications from this app. Turn off Allow Notifications to stop receiving notifications from Message.
How to Hide Alerts From All Apps
To hide alerts from all apps on your iPhone, navigate to the Settings app, and tap Focus. Now, tap Do Not Disturb > Apps. Then, tap the + (plus) icon to add apps you want to hide the notifications for. Select those particular apps and turn on the Focus mode (by swiping down on your main screen).
You should use the Focus feature if you don’t want to receive notifications from specific apps or any app at all. Here’s how to use Focus on your iPhone to hide alerts from all apps:
- Launch the Settings app and select the Focus option.
- Then, tap on Do Not Disturb.
- In the Do Not Disturb menu, select Apps.
- Tap on the Plus icon and add all the apps on your iPhone there.
- Lastly, turn on the Focus mode from the drop-down menu.
Now, you won’t receive notifications from any app until you turn off the Do Not Disturb mode.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does hide alerts on iPhone block calls?
No, hide alerts on iPhone don’t block calls, it only blocks the incoming notifications from a certain contact– that too, only if you’ve enabled Hide Alerts or DND for it. You will still receive messages and calls but won’t be notified by any banner, sound, or vibration alert on your iPhone.
Is the hide alert feature the same as blocking?
No, the hide alert feature is not the same as blocking. When you block a contact, you won’t receive calls or messages from it. On the other hand, when you enable hide alert for a contact, they can still send messages and call you, but you just won’t receive any notification for those calls or messages.
Do people know when you enable hide alerts for their contact?
No, people can’t know when you enable hide alerts for their contact. This is because they wouldn’t be notified of this action in any way. Plus, it doesn’t make any changes to their chat box. So, they’ll be able to send you messages as usual, and you’ll receive them– just won’t get notified.
How to hide alerts on your iPhone for a specific contact?
To Hide Alerts on your iPhone for a specific contact, you need to:
1. Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
2. Locate and tap on the conversation that you want to hide notifications for.
3. Press and hold on that conversation.
4. Tap on the Hide Alerts option that appears.
Now, you will no longer receive notifications for new messages from that specific contact.