Are you tired of slow loading times, frequent crashes, and security concerns while browsing the internet on your mobile device? Puffin browser can help you eliminate these issues, as it claims to be the fastest and most secure browser available. But does it live up to its promise? In this comprehensive review, we’ll dive deep into Puffin’s features, benefits, and drawbacks, as well as how it compares to other popular mobile browsers.
What is Puffin Browser?
Puffin browser is a mobile browser developed by CloudMosa, Inc. Unlike traditional browsers, Puffin uses a cloud-based architecture that allows it to load and render web pages faster than any other browser. With its innovative compression technology, Puffin can reduce data usage by up to 90%, making it a cost-effective option for users with limited data plans.
Is Puffin Browser Safe?
Yes, Puffin Browser is safe to use. It takes security and privacy seriously, with built-in features such as HTTPS encryption and incognito mode to protect your browsing activities.
When you browse the web with Puffin Browser, all traffic is encrypted and routed through Puffin’s servers, which act as a buffer between your device and the website you are visiting. This provides an additional layer of security and protects your personal information from being intercepted by hackers or other malicious third parties.
Furthermore, Puffin Browser’s incognito mode allows you to browse the web without leaving a trace of your activities on your device. This means cookies, cache data, or browsing history normally stored on your device will be automatically deleted when you exit incognito mode.
Puffin Browser also has a built-in ad-blocker that protects you from potentially harmful ads and pop-ups. By blocking these ads, Puffin Browser can reduce the risk of accidentally clicking on a malicious link or downloading a virus.
What Makes Puffin Browser Different?
Puffin Browser’s unique selling point is its cloud computing technology. It means instead of relying solely on your device’s processing power, Puffin Browser uses remote servers to handle the heavy lifting. The result is a faster, smoother browsing experience, even on slower or older devices.
Since Puffin Browser renders websites server-side instead of client-side, it offers protection against potentially malicious online content. This super-tight security feature encrypts your internet traffic and reduces the damage from cyber-attacks.
Another advantage of the Puffin Browser is its built-in ad blocker. This feature blocks annoying ads and pop-ups, resulting in a more streamlined and distraction-free browsing experience.
Puffin Browser also boasts a virtual gamepad and mouse simulator, which is ideal for gaming and other interactive web experiences. These features allow you to use your keyboard and mouse to control web-based games and other applications, giving you a more seamless and immersive experience.
Key Features of Puffin Browser
Puffin Browser is relatively limited in terms of features, especially in the free version. Its stellar security and smooth performance come at the cost of other basic features. Below, we have mentioned some of the key features of the Puffin Browser:
Puffin’s cloud-based architecture allows it to load and render web pages faster than other mobile browsers. Puffin can reduce the workload on your mobile device by processing web pages on remote servers, resulting in faster load times and improved performance.
Puffin’s data compression technology reduces the size of web pages before they are delivered to your mobile device, resulting in faster load times and reduced data usage. With data compression, users can save up to 90% on data usage while browsing the web on their mobile devices.
Puffin’s ad-blocker removes unwanted advertisements from web pages, resulting in a faster and more streamlined browsing experience. With Puffin’s ad-blocker, users can avoid intrusive and distracting ads while browsing the web on their mobile devices.
However, if you don’t have a subscription, you will see ads like this:
On the mobile app, you’ll see the Block ads option in the Settings section. When you toggle the switch on, you’ll see the following pop-up. When you click OK, it will take you to the Purchase Subscription page.
Puffin’s virtual gamepad allows users to play browser-based games with ease. With its customizable controls and responsive design, the virtual gamepad makes playing browser games on mobile devices a breeze. You can toggle on Quick Controls from Settings to access the virtual gamepad.
This is how the trackpad looks on an online gaming site:
You can also use a mouse cursor like the desktop mouse in the Puffin Browser. To use this cursor, you can drag it with your finger and use it to click wherever you want on the screen. This feature only adds a little functionality since you’re basically dragging the cursor with your finger. But it may benefit those who like to see where they’re clicking.
Puffin’s theater mode provides users with a more immersive browsing experience by removing distractions such as ads, toolbars, and other elements that can get in the way of content. With theater mode, users can focus on the content they view and enjoy a more immersive browsing experience.
On Puffin mobile browser, you can use the Request desktop site feature if you want to view the content in desktop mode. You can toggle this option on from Settings:
Benefits of Using Puffin Browser
- Faster Load Times: Puffin’s cloud-based architecture and data compression technology result in faster load times than other mobile browsers. With Puffin, you can load web pages quickly and efficiently, saving time and frustration.
- Improved Security: Puffin’s cloud-based architecture also improves security by processing web pages on remote servers. This reduces the risk of malware and other security threats on your mobile device. Also, encrypted traffic keeps cybercriminals out of your browser.
- Reduced Data Usage: Puffin’s data compression technology reduces data usage by up to 90%, making it a cost-effective option for those with limited data plans.
- Customization Options: With Puffin’s customizable interface and virtual gamepad, you can tailor your browsing experience to your preferences and enjoy a more personalized experience.
- Innovative Features: Puffin’s innovative features, such as its ad-blocker and theater mode, provide a unique and immersive browsing experience that other mobile browsers don’t.
Drawbacks of Puffin Browser
- Limited Compatibility: Puffin’s cloud-based architecture may result in compatibility issues with websites requiring local processing on your device. Additionally, Puffin may not be compatible with some plug-ins and extensions available on other browsers.
- Signing Up to Access the Internet: One of the most frustrating features of Puffin is that it requires you to sign in before you can access any page online. In our test, when we typed a URL, it instantly took us to the Sign In screen:
If you don’t have a Puffin account, you’ll have to sign up using an email ID. They will send you a verification email, and you can continue the signup process by clicking the link in the email.
Although the signup process is quick, no other browser requires you to sign up before using the internet. So, it feels like an extra step.
- Limited Free Features: While Puffin offers a free version of the browser, some of the most useful features, such as the ad-blocker and theater mode, are only available with a paid subscription. This is a drawback because you can easily download ad-blocking extensions on other browsers for free.
- Dependence on Internet Connection: Puffin’s cloud-based architecture highly depends on a stable and fast internet connection. Those in areas with poor internet connectivity may experience slower load times and reduced performance while using Puffin.
Puffin Browser vs. Safari
When it comes to mobile browsers, Safari is one of the most popular options for iPhone and iPad users. However, how does it compare to Puffin? Regarding speed and performance, Puffin outperforms Safari due to its cloud-based architecture and data compression technology. Puffin also offers features such as a built-in ad-blocker and virtual gamepad unavailable on Safari.
However, Safari may be a more compatible option if you require access to certain plug-ins and extensions. Additionally, Safari may be a more familiar and user-friendly option if you’re already accustomed to Apple’s ecosystem.
Compared to SafariCompared to Safari
All in all, Puffin Browser takes your security and privacy seriously and offers a range of features to protect your browsing activities from potential threats.
Final Take On Our Puffin Browser Review
Overall, the Puffin browser is a highly innovative and effective mobile browser that offers a unique and streamlined browsing experience. With its cloud-based architecture and data compression technology, Puffin outperforms other mobile browsers in speed and performance.
While there may be some compatibility issues and limited free features, the benefits of using Puffin, including improved security, reduced data usage, and innovative features, make it a top contender in the mobile browser market.
Overall VerdictOverall Verdict
Frequently Asked Questions
What devices are compatible with Puffin Browser?
Puffin Browser is compatible with a wide range of devices, including desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. It is available for both iOS and Android devices, as well as Windows and macOS.
Is Puffin Browser free?
Puffin Browser is available in both free and paid versions. The free version offers basic features, while the paid version offers additional features such as unlimited data usage and more customization options. The mobile browser offers more features in the free version than the desktop one.
Can I use Puffin Browser for gaming?
Yes, Puffin Browser is ideal for gaming on the web, thanks to its virtual gamepad and mouse simulator features. These features allow you to control web-based games using your keyboard and mouse, providing a more seamless and immersive experience.