If you’re a Facebook Messenger user, you know the frustration of trying to send a message and getting that dreaded “Message Failed” screen. So, in this blog post, we will discuss the different ways to fix Facebook Messenger not working. We will also cover why Facebook Messenger might be experiencing these problems in the first place. So, read on.
Table of Contents
- Why is Facebook Messenger Not Working?- 7 Possible Causes & Fixes
- How to Troubleshoot 7 Different Facebook Messenger Errors
- 1. Why You’re Unable to Message Someone on Facebook Messenger?
- 2. Why You’re Unable to Send Photos/Videos on Facebook Messenger?
- 3. Why You’re Unable to Make Audio and Video Calls on Facebook Messenger?
- 4. Why You’re Not Receiving Messages on Facebook Messenger?
- 5. Why You Can’t See if the Receiver Has Read Your Message on Facebook Messenger?
- 6. Why You’re Unable to Use Emojis and Stickers on Facebook?
- 7. Why You’re Not Able to Send Tenor GIFs on Facebook Messenger?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Facebook Messenger Not Working?- 7 Possible Causes & Fixes
There are many potential causes for Facebook Messenger not working. Some of the most common issues include:
1. Facebook Messenger Server Outage
Sometimes, Facebook Messenger servers may experience downtime. This may prevent you from using the app. To confirm if that’s the case, check out Facebook Messenger’s server status. Once you have confirmed that Messenger servers are at fault, there is nothing really you can do about it but wait for Facebook to fix it.
2. Internet Connection Problems
If you’re having trouble sending messages or connecting to the app, it might be due to a poor internet connection. So, addressing your connectivity issues will fix this problem. In case you use Wi-Fi, try restarting your router.
And if you use a cellular connection, make sure your device is receiving strong signals and that you have not run out of data. You can also try turning the Flight mode on and off. This generally helps solve cellular connection issues.
3. Messenger Cached Data
If you find your Facebook messenger not working, its cached data can be another possible reason. While Messenger caches data to improve our experience on the app, the same data can prevent you from using the app properly when it becomes obsolete or corrupted over time.
To fix this, you simply need to clear your Facebook Messenger app cache files. Here’s how to do it:
Since there is no direct way to get rid of Facebook Messenger cache files on an iPhone, you need to delete and reinstall Messenger. Here’s how to do it:
- Tap and hold the Facebook Messenger app icon until it begins to shake.
- Select the Remove App option.
- Now, tap Delete App.
- Lastly, tap Delete to confirm that you want to delete Facebook Messenger.
This will clear all data associated with the messenger app from your device, including any caches or cookies that might be causing the issue.
On Android, clearing the Messenger Cache is a relatively straightforward process.
- First, open up the Settings app on your device.
- Select App or App Management.
- From here, scroll down to find the Messenger app and tap on it.
- Once you are viewing the app’s settings page, you will see an option labeled Storage or Storage & Cache. Tap on this option.
- Finally, select Clear Cache.
This will delete all data associated with the messenger app from your device, which can help to resolve any cache-related issues and get your Messenger up and working again.
4. Outdated Facebook Messenger App
If you’re using an outdated version of the Facebook Messenger app, many of its functions may not work properly. So, you should always use the latest version of the app. And while all smartphones typically always update their apps automatically, sometimes, it might get missed. In that case, you can install updates manually. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the Apple App Store.
- Type “Messenger” in the search bar above.
- The Messenger app will appear. Now, if you see the Update button next to it, this means that you haven’t been using its latest version.
- To install the updated version of the app, simply tap Update.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Tap your Profile icon on the top right.
- Select Manage apps and device.
- Tap Update all if you want to update all the apps, or else select See details to know more and update your Facebook Messenger manually.
If an outdated app was the issue, you should be able to use your Messenger app now
5. Old Mobile Version
Using an outdated Android or iOS version can also lead to Facebook Messenger not working properly. This is because the application has specific system requirements and may need to be updated regularly to ensure smooth functioning. When using an old mobile version of iOS or Android, you may experience Facebook Messenger issues.
That’s why it is crucial to update your mobile’s OS. Here’s how to do it.
If you’re using an Apple device:
- Head over to Settings and tap General.
- Then tap Software Update.
- Now, select Download and Install to install if any iOS update is available for your device, and restart it.
For Android users, the process is slightly different
- Head over to Settings.
- Select About Phone/Device.
- Tap System Update and check for any available updates.
6. Background Data Restriction
Background data refers to the data that is sent and received in the background when using a mobile device. It allows for constant communication between apps, websites, and services without having to manually open each one up.
By default, many applications use background data to ensure that they function properly and are able to send notifications and messages in real time. When this setting is disabled, it can severely limit the functionality of the application. So, simply enabling background data on your device can fix this issue. Here’s how to do it.
- Navigate to Settings > General.
- Tap Background App Refresh.
- Now, find Messenger in the list, and toggle On the switch next to it.
- Tap Settings app on your home screen and select App Management.
- Scroll down and locate Messenger.
- Select Data Usage Status, tapping this option provides you with information about mobile data usage for Messenger on Android devices.
- Locate the Background data option at the bottom of the menu, then toggle the button next to it.
7. Contact Facebook
If you’ve tried all of the above steps and your issue is still not resolved, it may be a good idea to contact Facebook directly. The best way to do this is by visiting the official Facebook Help Center page and submitting a request.
How to Troubleshoot 7 Different Facebook Messenger Errors
It’s possible that even after trying the above fixes, you continue to have trouble with specific functions of Messenger. So, I have listed below some of the most common FB Messenger issues, and the fixes for the same.
1. Why You’re Unable to Message Someone on Facebook Messenger?
If you’re having trouble sending messages to someone on Facebook Messenger, it could be due to the following reasons:
- The other person has blocked you.
- The other person’s account is deactivated or banned.
- The other person hasn’t accepted your friend request yet, and their chat settings are set to Friends Only.
In this case, you can try reaching out to that person on some other platform.
2. Why You’re Unable to Send Photos/Videos on Facebook Messenger?
If you’re having trouble sending photos or videos on Facebook Messenger, it could be due to a slow internet connection or an outdated app. But if you have tested and ruled out these possibilities, it’s possible that the photo or video you are trying to send is too large in size. This can be easily fixed by reducing the size of the file before trying to send it again.
3. Why You’re Unable to Make Audio and Video Calls on Facebook Messenger?
If you’re unable to make calls on Facebook Messenger, you probably have poor internet or an outdated app. But other than that, there are two possibilities:
1. Facebook Messenger app doesn’t have access to the camera.
To give Messenger access to the camera, do the following:
- Open Settings and select App Management
- Go to Messenger and tap on it.
- Tap App Permissions.
- Finally, toggle on the button next to the camera option to give Messenger access to your mobile camera. Once done, you are all set to start a video call on Messenger.
2. The app doesn’t have access to the microphone.
So, to give Messenger access to the microphone:
- Go to Settings and tap App Management.
- Locate Messenger and tap on it.
- Select App Permissions.
- In the Permission settings page, you will find the Microphone option. Now move the slider next to the Microphone option to give Messenger access to the microphone.
4. Why You’re Not Receiving Messages on Facebook Messenger?
If you’re not receiving messages on Facebook Messenger, it could be due to a weak network connection, Facebook Messenger app server issues, or an outdated version of the app. But despite addressing these issues, if you’re still not receiving messages, you have probably enabled low data mode on your phone.
To disable low data mode on an iOs device:
Follow these steps to disable Low Data Mode on your iPhone,
- Launch the Settings app and tap Mobile Data.
- Select Mobile Data Options.
- Now, slide the button next to Low Data Mode to turn it off.
To disable low data mode on an Android phone:
- Head over to your Settings app and tap the Cellular Network option.
- In the Cellular Network section, you will find the Data Saver button with a toggle to switch it off. Once you have disabled the Data Saver button, your device can use all its features normally again.
Alternatively, you can use Messenger Lite instead. It’s a great messaging service that consumes less data and space on your phone.
5. Why You Can’t See if the Receiver Has Read Your Message on Facebook Messenger?
If you can’t see if the receiver has read your message on Facebook Messenger, maybe your app needs an update. But if that’s not the case, it could be due to the following reasons:
1. The other person has turned off read receipts. If this is the case, you won’t know if and when they have seen your message. But similarly, they will not be able to see when you have read their messages.
2. They have blocked you. If you suspect that the other person has blocked you, try sending them a message. If it’s not delivered, it means they might have blocked you.
In these cases, you can’t really do anything.
6. Why You’re Unable to Use Emojis and Stickers on Facebook?
If you’re not able to use emojis and stickers on Facebook, you’re probably using an outdated version of the app, have a weak internet connection, or you simply need to clear your app cache. Alternatively, it is possible that your device is not compatible with this feature.
In this case, you need to check device compatibility, as some devices are not compatible with certain features of Facebook. So it’s worth checking that your device is supported before attempting to send emojis or stickers.
If none of it works, contact Facebook by visiting the official Help Center page and submitting a request. Make sure to provide as much detail about your issue as possible so that their team can help you quickly.
7. Why You’re Not Able to Send Tenor GIFs on Facebook Messenger?
If you’re not able to send Tenor GIFs on Facebook Messenger, it could be due to an internet connection problem, an outdated version of the app, or due to old and corrupted Facebook Messenger cache.
However, it is also possible that you are sending a large-size GIF file. So, try to send a different GIF. If it’s delivered, it means the GIF file size you were trying to send previously was large. Alternatively, it could be the Tenor server at fault. So, it’s also worth checking the Tenor server status to ensure there are no outages or other issues preventing you from sending GIFs.
Lastly, you can try restarting your app. It is an effective way to address and fix any technical issues you might be having. This process can help refresh the app, helping it run more smoothly and efficiently. So, here’s how to restart Messenger:
- First, log out from your Facebook Messenger account and close the app.
- Now open the app again and enter your login credentials.
- Finally, try sending the GIF again.
By following the above steps, you can get your Facebook Messenger working again in no time. If none of the steps work for you, or if you’re still facing issues with Facebook messenger not working, then it’s best to contact customer support and ask for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I send Facebook Messages without the Messenger app?
Yes, you can send Facebook Messages without the Messenger app. To do this:
1. Open Facebook in a web browser on your computer.
2. Tap the Messages icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
3. A list of all your Facebook messages will appear.
4. To send a new message, type in the name of the recipient and your message.
5. Then, hit the Send button.
How to turn off my read receipts on Facebook Messenger?
To turn off read receipts on Facebook Messenger, open the app and tap on your profile icon. Select Privacy Shortcuts > Read Receipts and toggle the switch to Off. This will prevent other people from seeing when you’ve seen their messages.
Why can’t I send media files on Facebook Messenger?
If you can’t send media files on Facebook Messenger, it could be due to network connectivity issues, outdated software, blocked services, or incompatible devices. Make sure all your devices are compatible and up-to-date before attempting to send any media. You should also check if the other person has blocked you or if you are connected to a working internet network. Additionally, check for the file size you are sending, as larger files can be hard to send.