Let me guess, you were about to share someone’s post on your Instagram story, but you couldn’t find the Add Post to Your Story option.
Well, there are multiple possible reasons why you can’t share post to story on Instagram. But luckily, this issue is easy to solve. And here are my top 8 most effective fixes.
Table of Contents
- Why You Can’t Share Post to Story on Instagram- 5 Possible Reasons
- Can’t Share Post to Story on Instagram? -7 Things You Can Try
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Can’t Share Post to Story on Instagram- 5 Possible Reasons
You can’t share a post to your Instagram story because the posted content may not be public or doesn’t allow others to share it. This can also happen if you log in via multiple accounts on the same device, have a poor internet connection, or still using an older app version.
To know more about the reasons why you are unable to share Instagram posts to your Story, let’s have a quick look here:
1. Post from a Private Instagram Account
Add Post to Your Story feature is only available for public Instagram accounts. So, if the post owner has a private Instagram account, you won’t see the option to share their posts to your Instagram story.
2. Disabled Post-Sharing Option
Even when someone has a public Instagram account, they can still disable the post-to-story feature on their posts. So, if you can’t share public posts on your Story, the post owner might have disabled the permission to share.
3. Older Version of the Instagram App
An older version of the Instagram app may have some bugs or glitches that can cause certain features to malfunction. This also includes the post-to-story feature going missing for some Instagram posts. So, this could also be why you cannot share Instagram posts to your Story.
4. Multiple Account Login on the Same Device
When multiple Instagram accounts are signed in on the same device, you can face some glitches. That’s why some features may not function properly. Similarly, it may prevent you from sharing posts to your Instagram story.
5. Poor Internet Connection Issues
If you tap the Add Post to Your Story option on your Instagram, and nothing happens. This can happen due to a poor internet connection. That is, a slow internet connection can also cause your Instagram’s post-to-story feature to malfunction.
Can’t Share Post to Story on Instagram? -7 Things You Can Try
If you can’t share a post to your Story on Instagram, try the share post option, change the account type to the public, clear the cache, reinstall the app, or update Instagram. You can also log in from a different device or ensure strong internet connectivity.
Now that we know the reasons behind Instagram Add Post to Your Story problem, let’s look at some solutions in detail to fix it:
1. Change the Account Type to Public
If you are the post owner and you want to allow your friends to share your post to their story, you may need to change your account type to public. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to the Instagram app, then press the Profile icon on the bottom right corner.
- Tap the three horizontal lines icon at the top right and select Settings.
- Tap the Privacy option in Settings, then toggle off the Private account option.
2. Enable Add Post to Story
If you suspect the post owner hasn’t enabled the sharing option, you can request them to do so. Or, if you are the post owner and want to allow your others to share your posts to their stories, you’d need to enable the Add Post to Story option. Here are the steps to do so:
- From the Instagram Profile page, tap three horizontal lines at the top right corner and select Settings.
- Tap the Privacy option in Settings, then select the Story option.
- Scroll down to the Sharing section, and swipe the toggle in front of Allow sharing to story if it’s disabled.
3. Update Instagram App
If this issue results from a bug or glitch, it may be time for you to update the app to the latest version. Follow these steps to update your Instagram app on your Android devices.
- Open Google Play Store and press your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Then select Manage apps and devices.
- Now tap on Updates available and see if Instagram is listed there.
- Press the Update button in front of the Instagram app. In case Instagram is not listed there, it means that it’s already up-to-date.
As for the iOS users, the steps to update the Instagram app are as follows:
- Launch the App Store.
- Select your Profile icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now, scroll down to look for pending updates. If your Instagram is outdated, you will see the Update button next to it. Tap it to update your Instagram app.
4. Clear Cache
Sometimes the Instagram cache can get corrupted and cause glitches in the app. To fix this problem, you must clear the Instagram app cache.
Here’s how you can do it on Android devices:
- Launch the Settings app, and tap on the Apps option.
- Scroll through the list of apps, find Instagram and select it.
- Tap on Storage and select clear cache from the bottom right.
If you are an iPhone user, you’ll have to delete the Instagram app to get rid of its cache. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Select iPhone Storage.
- Find Instagram in the list of apps and tap on it.
- Now, tap Delete App, and it will remove Instagram (along with all its cache files) from your iPhone.
Now, you can reinstall Instagram, and the issue will probably be resolved.
5. Reinstall Instagram
If updating and clearing the app cache doesn’t help, you should reinstall it to see if the problem is fixed. Reinstalling the app would clear the app cache and delete the temporary data that might be interfering with your app.
So, follow these steps to reinstall Instagram on your Android device:
- Head to Google Play Store, and search for the Instagram app.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Once the app is uninstalled, then tap on Install again.
- Tap Open to launch the app.
But if you are an iPhone user, follow these steps to reinstall Instagram after you have deleted it using the steps mentioned in the previous section:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap Search (Magnifying Glass icon) on the bottom right.
- Find Instagram through the search bar and install it.
6. Try Updating the OS of Your Device
If this issue occurs on an Apple or Android device, it might be due to a bug in OS software. So you need to update it.
You can update your Android OS with these steps:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Software Update.
- If the updates are available, download and install them. Otherwise, this screen will let you know if the OS is up to date.
- You can also turn on automatic updates from the Gear icon at the top right.
Here’s how to do it for Apple devices:
- Open Settings and go to General.
- Here, select Software Update.
- Then tap on Download and Install.
- Also, make sure to enable Automatic Updates, so, your phone will automatically install OS updates from the next time on.
7. Check the Wi-Fi Connection
You should check your internet connection because if it has poor signals, you might see the Add Post to Your Story feature but cannot use it. So, refresh the Wi-Fi or the cellular connection to make sure the internet connection is stable.
Turn off the internet connection for 15-20 seconds, and then switch it on again. Now, try using the Add Post to Your Story feature on Instagram posts from a public account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I share an Instagram story I’m tagged in?
If you’re unable to share the Instagram story that you’ve been tagged in, it can be because of two main reasons: the account of the story owner is private, or they have disabled the permission to share the Story.
How do I prevent others from sharing my Instagram posts to Story?
To prevent people from sharing your post to their Story, go to the profile section > Settings > Privacy > Story > Turn off the toggle button in front of Allow sharing to story.
Why can’t people share my Instagram Story?
This could be because either you have a private account or have disabled the Allow sharing to story option. People won’t be able to share your post on their Instagram stories.