The flashlight on iPhone is a super handy tool, but many times, iPhone users fail to make the most of it. It’s great for having a quick read in bed or while walking during night hours. But there is so much more to this excellent feature that you may have missed.
So, that’s just what we’re going to explore. Read on and learn how to turn on/off and customize the flashlight on your iPhone.
Table of Contents
- How to Turn On/Off the Flashlight on iPhone in 4 Ways
- How to Adjust the Brightness of Flashlight on iPhone
- 4 Flashlight Shortcuts and Gestures on iPhone
- Why is Flashlight Not Working on My iPhone? 6 Possible Causes & Fixes
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Turn On/Off the Flashlight on iPhone in 4 Ways
To turn On/Off the flashlight on your iPhone, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap the flashlight icon. You can also use the flashlight from the Lock screen by swiping up and tapping the icon. However, if you keep the flashlight ON for too long, it drains your iPhone’s battery faster.
The flashlight on your iPhone is a useful tool that you may use frequently, so it’s helpful to know multiple ways to access it. Here are a few options:
1. Turn On/Off iPhone Flashlight Using Siri
Siri is a helpful feature on iPhones that can assist you with a variety of tasks. Here’s how to use Siri to control the flashlight on iPhone:
- To Turn the Flashlight On, say, “Hey Siri, turn on my flashlight.” It will reply, “OK, I turned Flashlight On.“
- To turn Flashlight Off, say, “Hey Siri, turn off my flashlight.” It will reply, “OK, I turned Flashlight Off.“
Note: If you have disabled the Hey Siri feature, press and hold the power button with Face ID or the home button without Face ID before speaking these commands.
2. Turn On/Off iPhone Flashlight Using Control Center
The Control Center is a convenient way to quickly access the flashlight on your iPhone from the home screen. Here’s how to use the Control Center to turn the flashlight on and off:
- Press the side button, tap the screen, or raise your phone to light up your iPhone screen.
- You can open the Control Center by sliding down from the right edge of the screen.
- Tap the flashlight icon to turn it on.
- Once again, tap on the flashlight icon to turn it off.
3. Turn On/Off iPhone Flashlight Using Lock Screen
The Lock screen is the quickest way to turn on and off the flashlight on your iPhone. But sometimes, you may accidentally turn on the flashlight on your iPhone. So, if you’re not sure how to use the Lock screen to control the flashlight, here’s how you can do it:
- Tap the screen, raise your phone, or press the side button to wake your iPhone screen.
- When the flashlight icon appears in the bottom left corner, long press it on for a while. Then, your iPhone will vibrate, and its flashlight will turn on.
- To turn it off, press and hold the flashlight icon again for a few seconds, and it turns it off.
4. Turn On/Off iPhone Flashlight By Tapping On The Back Of the iPhone
You can use the back tap accessibility feature to create a shortcut for turning on/off the flashlight on your iPhone without having to look at it. This is very useful if you need a flashlight when it’s difficult to access the screen. Here’s how to use the back tap feature to use the flashlight on your iPhone:
Step 1: Set up a shortcut to toggle the flashlight.
To begin, create a shortcut for turning on and off your iPhone’s flashlight by following these steps:
- Launch the Shortcuts app and choose All Shortcuts from the menu.
- In the top right corner, tap the plus (+) sign to create the shortcut.
- Tap on Add Action.
- A menu will appear, showing certain actions to add.
- Search Set LED Flash and tap it if this feature appears in the search results.
- Next, tap on the Turn option.
- Select Toggle from the drop-down menu.
- Once you are done, you’ll see Toggle Torch. Then, select Next and name the shortcut.
- Tap Done, and your new shortcut should appear.
Step 2: Add a shortcut to back-tapping.
Once your shortcut is complete, it’s time to add it to a Back Tap gesture.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Accessibility.
- Select Touch.
- Choose Back Tap.
- Choose either Double Tap or Triple Tap based on your preference.
- Now, you can assign the flashlight shortcut for the Back Tap gesture.
Step 3: Toggle the Flashlight on and off.
Now try the gesture to turn on/off your iPhone’s flashlight.
- Tap on the back of your iPhone.
- Your Flashlight should turn on or off.
Note: All the above methods may vary depending on your iPhone model.
How to Adjust the Brightness of Flashlight on iPhone
To adjust the flashlight’s brightness on the iPhone, open the Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and long-press the flashlight icon to bring up the brightness control. Now, you can drag the slider left/right to adjust the brightness.
Here’s how you can adjust the brightness of the flashlight on your iPhone:
- Swiping down from the right for iPhones with Face ID will allow you to access the Control Center. But if you have an iPhone with no Face ID, drag up from the bottom to bring up the Control Center.
- Hold down the flashlight icon for a few seconds.
- Slide the vertical bar up or down to increase or decrease the brightness.
4 Flashlight Shortcuts and Gestures on iPhone
There are different shortcuts and gestures you can use to control flashlight on iPhone. For one, ask Siri to turn the flashlight ON/OFF or simply use the lock screen to control it. You can even use the Back Tap gesture to control it or do it through the Control Center.
You can turn the flashlight on the iPhone on/off in a few different ways. The following are some flashlight shortcuts and gestures on iPhone:
- You can ask Siri to turn on/off the flashlight on your iPhone.
- Access your iPhone’s Control Center and use the flashlight icon to turn it on/off.
- Use the lock screen on your iPhone to turn the flashlight on/off.
- Create a shortcut for the flashlight function and add it to the Back Tap gesture.
So, if you want to use any of these methods to use the flashlight on your iPhone, you can check out the previous section of this blog.
Why is Flashlight Not Working on My iPhone? 6 Possible Causes & Fixes
The flashlight on your iPhone may not work due to the wrong power mode, low battery, overheating, software bugs, or glitches. Another reason could be that the flashlight feature is disabled in the Settings app of your iPhone.
So, if your iPhone torch isn’t working, you obviously may want to fix this issue. Follow these steps to resolve your iPhone’s flashlight issue:
1. Toggle off Low Power Mode
Low Power Mode consumes less battery power, which often disables your iPhone’s Flashlight. You’ll also see your battery icon in yellow instead of green. Follow these steps to turn off Low power mode:
- Navigate to the Settings app.
- Select Battery.
- Toggle Low Power Mode off with a tap.
2. Make Sure your iPhone is Charged
Your iPhone’s flashlight may not work if it’s low on battery or low power mode is active. So, plug it into a power outlet to start charging it. Once it has enough power, the flashlight feature on your iPhone should work again.
3. Avoid Overheating your iPhone
The Flashlight on your iPhone may stop working when its component gets too hot. So, your iPhones will automatically shut down until they cool off. However, in some cases, you may see a warning on your iPhone’s screen if your device exceeds a certain temperature limit.
4. Remove and Add Flashlight Again in the Control Center
You should try re-adding the flashlight option in the Control Center if its flashlight is still not working. Here’s how to remove and add the flashlight from the Control Center of your iPhone:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Control Center.
- Tap the red minus (-) button for Flashlight in Included Controls.
- To confirm, tap Remove.
- Scroll down to the More Controls section and tap on the Flashlight to add it back.
- Now, tap the plus (+) icon to add Flashlight again.
5. Turn Off your iPhone’s Camera
If you have the Camera app open, the Control Center’s flashlight icon will be grayed out. It is because you can’t use both features at once. So, you should exit from the Camera app and restart Control Center. Now you will see the flashlight button available to use again.
6. Make Use of the Camera Flash
The flash function in the Camera app can help you turn on the flashlight if the Control Center does not let you. Here’s how:
- Navigate to Video mode in the Camera app.
- Tap the bottom menu (next to Video).
- Tap Flash.
- Select On.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I find my Flashlight on my iPhone?
If you can’t find the flashlight on your iPhone, you may have to add it to the Control Center. Follow the steps to enable the flashlight icon on your iPhone’s Control Center:
1. Tap on the Settings button.
2. Select Control Center.
3. In the list of available controls, tap
How do I turn on the Flashlight and camera on my iPhone?
You can turn on the flashlight and camera on your iPhone at the same time. Follow these steps:
1. Open your Camera.
2. Select the video icon.
3. Turn your phone over and tap on the lightning bolt with a line.
4. You have an Auto-On-and-Off option.
5. Turn Auto On.
You can now shoot anything from your camera using the flashlight feature
What is the Siri command for the iPhone’s flashlight function?
The Siri command for the iPhone’s flashlight function is, “Hey Siri, turn on my flashlight.” Then, it turns your Flashlight on and informs you, “OK, I turned Flashlight On”. Similarly, if you say, “Hey Siri, turn off my flashlight,” your iPhone will turn off its flashlight. Siri will inform you by saying, “OK, I turned Flashlight Off.”